One of the ways of making a salad more interesting is to use fresh herbs which I have been growing this month. The herbs along with a simple dressing (lime and ground cumin) makes a light, refreshing salad which goes well with Mexican, Indian, African dishes, grilled meats or anything with a hint of spice.
- 1 Continental cucumber or 2 Lebanese cucumbers peeled and deseeded
- Roma tomatoes peeled and deseeded
- 1/2 red onion, peeled
- 1 bird’s eye chili, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- 1 tbsp finely chopped mint leaves
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 1/4 ground cumin
- A pinch of caster sugar
Cut the cucumber, tomato and onion into a 5mm- square dice and combine in a large bowl and mix together. Add the chili, coriander and mint to the bowl and mix together. Add the remaining to the bowl and mix together. Add the remaining ingredients mix well and let stand for 20 minutes before serving.