One way how I love to reward myself (after organizing 1,000 papers of data for my research study), is to make a homemade delicious dessert. Last week, I went to the Ashcombe Lavender garden maze with the Deakin Toastmaster members. While being surrounded by fresh scent of lavender, I remembered Fiona’s recipe in the second season of Master Chef and I knew I had to make her dessert as my reward.
Before I even took a bite out of this lovely treat, I just loved the lovely fragrance of the lavender when it is combined with the cream and dark chocolate Ganache. While I was eating the tart, I envisioned myself having high tea with delectable treats in a fancy and elegant café chatting with friends. (~ah, how I love to daydream :)). During these special moments, I always like to remind myself that a healthy diet with (exercise of course) can also include an occasional treat which makes eating healthy not so rigid and more enjoyable.
Stressed is just desserts spelled backwards – Unknown quote.
- 240g plain flour
- 160g butter
- Pinch of salt
- 300 ml thickened cream
- 1 tbs caster sugar
- 1 tsp unsprayed lavender flowers, plus extra flowers to serve
- 1 punnet raspberries
- 160ml cream
- 40g butter
- 180g dark chocolate, finely chopped
- Place the flour, butter and a pinch of salt in a food processor and blend until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add 1-2 teaspoons cold water and blend again until the dough just comes together. Tip out onto a lightly floured board or clean bench and form dough into a disc, enclose in cling film and refrigerate for 30-60 minutes.
- Roll pastry out to 3-5mm thick, and then use to line four 10cm loose-bottomed tart tins. Prick the base with a fork, then place back in the fridge to rest for about 20 minutes.
- To make the ganache, place the cream and butter in a pan and stir over medium heat until butter has melted. Place chocolate in a heatproof bowl, pour over the warm cream, and then stir until the chocolate has melted.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Line the pastry case with baking paper and pastry beads or uncooked rice. Blind-bake for 7-10 minutes, then remove baking paper and beads and bake for another 5-10 minutes until just golden. Press down any bubbles that have risen up and allow to cool. Remove from tart cases and place on a serving plate or clean board.
- Meanwhile, whip thickened cream with sugar until soft peaks, then stir through lavender flowers. Cover with cling film and refrigerate until needed.
- Pour the chocolate ganache into the tart shells. Spread evenly with the back of a spoon or palette knife.
- Top tarts with lavender cream and decorate with raspberries. Decorate tarts with extra lavender flowers.
Recipe derived from Master Chef Fiona’s recipe